View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Hi bfollowell
Should probably not reply to your post.
I'm too new to this world of eBooks to comment on howto construct an ebook, but want to understand at least a bit.
I bought Fall of Giants at Amazon for my new K3. The K3 was not able to show Ty with a "^" above the y; instead a largish image was used. I contacted Kindle/Amazon CS and got this reply:

"We’ve received information from our technical team stating that, since Ty with a ^ accent mark on top of it is not supported by the Kindle, the publisher has correctly inserted this character as an image. It displays about twice as big as the rest of the text at font size 3.
Please note that, currently Kindle doesn't support accented characters. Images don't change size when the font of text is changed, and leaving the image large means that readers who need larger font sizes are able to read the symbol."

An the other hand I "found" a book in html format, converted to mobi using Calibre. No `Žetc on the french words. Converting to RTF, using ... Word (aagh), Calibre to mobi worked. So the K3 CAN show these ( at least some ), but why these differences I wonder ? I just don't understand.
Have a nice weekend,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote