View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Map books.
Actually, I just purchased a road atlas. I don't have a smartphone, looking at large-scale maps on the GPS is a pain, and it takes time/effort to hunt down a public hotspot for the netbook. There are times when just pulling out the road atlas and looking at a paper map is the best way to plan or check a route. It's not about high tech or low tech, it's about the best tech for the job.

A quote from "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing, a man who (along with being a damn good writer) is, among other things, an aerospace engineer:

Quote:
d office so that gravity swung it open, and Ern's dictum to avoid an automatic door closer. That would've required a selenium cell, pressure plate, or capacitance switch—all fallible—when all I needed, quoth ol' Ern, was a handle.
You use whatever gets the job done most reliably. Don't build an automatic door closer when what you need is a handle (says the gadget freak who has ThinkGeek on speed dial).

(by the way, "Pulling Through" is included in the ebook "The Rackham Files", which you can buy at Baen; I highly recommend it)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote