Thread: Router sharing
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #29
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
I have a similar setup to some neighbours. Only I have enabled the guest zone with a password and MAC filtering, so only those I rely on can use it.

I have the same router as you (DIR-655) and use traffic shaping (Advanced -> QoS Engine) to make sure my computers have first priority on the net; after all, I'm the one who's paying. To give your computers fixed IPs, you can "reserve" IPs to your own MAC addresses. That way I never experiences any limitations while others can use the full capasity when I don't use it.

The Guest Zone blocks access to your own devices and shields you from being hacked. Note that a good hacker can always overcome such blockings. You can also use Access Control (Advanced -> Access Control) to limit what others can do. You can also block traffic based on web addresses and such. Just play around with the advanced settings.

I know that others have said "Be careful" about this, but I just wanted to repeat it. Except exposing yourself to possible hackers, you could potentially lend your network to some pretty nasty people.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote