View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #29
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I think in addition to just reading and recording stuff (the latter being the real challenge every year, TBH, since I read more than the 100 books that were the original suggested challenge way back when all this started, IIRC), my challenge is going to involve trying to read more in the way of the non-English translated books I've acquired over the years.

You see, francophone publishers are generally quite good about publishing translated sf/fantasy from even relatively obscure authors, but they often have a short shelf life for their editions' availability, with my having learned the hard way that if I don't pounce on anything I might want that isn't a Terry Pratchett Discworld (which have excellent French translations, by the way) pretty much the moment it appears, it's going to disappear and become unavailable to order very shortly afterwards (and then go for $$$ in the used section, if they show up there at all) and not get reprinted for years, if ever.

So I've kind of gotten into the habit of auto-buying my very favourites once they hit French mass-market-sized paperback (or money-saving omnibus editions), and 2015 is probably the year I should finally get around to reading more of them and see how good/bad/monkey* the translations† are and how well the stories hold up.

* Sometimes I miss Warren Ellis' Nextwave, which I like to pretend is the canon version of the Marvel Comics Universe.

† Forever disappointed that the translation of Barbara Hambly's 1st Benjamin January antebellum New Orleans mystery novel did not teach me the French equivalent of the word "absquatulate".
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote