View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
also, i've heard back from the person who hired me for the project, it is not confidential, so here is the description :

the company is DeCarta, they made the technology used in Google maps, and it's a similar application to that. there is a map in the page (like google maps) and a search function and you can search for a business / service or a location.

you can create an account which will allow you to store different locations and routes and it can send the location to a device like a Tomtom (i don't know what a tomtom is, but i added that name to an example list of devices). it can calculate a good route to or from that location. you can store several default locations (home, work, school...) and routes (home to work, work to school...) and ask the api to calculate the best route to add the new location to, and then send the info to your device. you can register several devices, so you can also send it to your mother's device or your friend's or whatever. it might be able to take into account traffic conditions and weather alerts as well. there will be more features added to it, i don't even know everything they have planned.

i was not at all involved in the conception of the project, i only had a very very tiny role writing some code to add features on to existing pages and create static html demo pages, but still i admit i'm rather excited to know that a project i participated in will be demo-ed at CES !
Anyone gathering the irony of The Queen, who a) doesn't know what a TomTom is and b) doesn't drive, working on a project like this?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote