View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I see your point; you're considering the collective whole of the "1 in 6" rather than the 1 individually. I think it's a case where either a singular or plural could be considered correct, although personally I prefer the singular in this case.
Hi:

I meant to say, earlier, that I personally preferred, ear-wise, the "1-is," over the "boys-are," given the sentence in its entirety, but I do think, in this instance, that what you say is true--given the way the sentence is written, it could be interpreted either way--the collective plural or the 1. Hmmm...we certainly get some interesting "stuff" here on MR, don't we?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote