View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #50
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
My pet peeve with all these posts on this blog, is people seem to want "everything" in the ereader. If they want "everything", i.e., keyboard, IR, WIFI, Internet connectivity, note taking, etc, why not buy a tablet pc?
The reason is simple. Some of us would prefer a general purpose E Ink information device rather than one with a light-emitting, eye-fatiguing screen. If I had a reader with full html, doc, txt, rtf and pdf support, I wouldn't miss the ability to read commercial e-books in the least. I'm much more concerned with the ability to read, write, edit, store, retrieve, send and receive documents than reading e-books. When it comes to fiction and literature, I'm perfectly content to read dead tree versions; in fact, I prefer them.

Yes, E Ink OEMs initially conceived and marketed their devices as book readers. Other than Amazon, which has obvious content delivery advantages and publisher leverage in this space I don't see book reading being the core competency of competing E Ink device manufacturers in future.

Last edited by Gameboy70; 09-11-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote