View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #307
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I would disagree. Just because something is popular does not mean that one must automatically try it. The Harry Potter Story does not interest me. I read Narnia and a slew of books like that years ago. Never seen Jurrasic Park and do not want to see it.
But have you tried Harry Potter? It's like anything, and I'm the same. If I don't try something because of the 'type' (as I see it) of book it is, I am being narrow-minded and prejudiced. I've tried various books that I didn't think were my 'type' of books. That included Narnia and Harry Potter. I found Narnia to be poorly constructed and overrated (albeit with flashes of excellence). I also read Harry Potter reluctantly and discovered it's as good as Dickens (at least the first book). I watch movies reluctantly but Jurrasic Park was a well-constructed entertainment. I force myself to watch entertainment movies and 50% of the time, I'm glad I did. They are short and often well-constructed and entertaining.

The ugly truth is that a lot of people don't try Harry Potter because it's a 'children's' book.

Incidentally, what do you read?

Last edited by Rizla; 02-28-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote