View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #100
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Assuming the verge didn't just pull "paperwhite" out of its editorial derrière, a couple of possibilities:

- it is the same pearl screen, possibly with minor improvement in the lightness of the background. The paperwhite comes from the intergrated front light. After all, the pearl screen is pretty white if you shine enough light on it. I mean, look at the ads for the current kindles. I don't see any that does not have a pretty white background already. Paperwhite is just the new pearl.

- Eink really has a new screen with a near white background which it has held back for its biggest customer, Amazon. This isn't totally crazy. I think iPad is still the only major tablet with higher than HD resolution because Apple pretty much bought up all the HD+ panels. I can see Amazon doing the same with eink.

- Amazon has come up with some proprietary trick of its own to lighten the background of the standard pearl screen. This is kind of unlikely (if it's possible, you'd think Eink would figure it out themselves).

Anyway, I hope the black "ink" stays the same or gets darker. If both the screen and the ink are lighter, that won't improve contrast; you just add more glare.

All shall be revealed in the fullness of time....
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote