View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #49
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I find it ridiculous that the device cannot "see" it's own drive, while computers running Windows, OS X and Linux can see and work with the contents of said partition no problem. I've tried everything.. formatting in 3 different OSes, using different programs, partition editors, I've even tried changing the partition flag, partition scheme (mbr, guid, etc.) and nothing works to get the device to see it's internal space again. So now it's a SD card only unit.

It is foolish that the firmware doesn't have a "repair" or "format" routine in it. The BlackBerry does. You can format the built-in internal memory from within the BlackBerry OS.

The hardware of the device is good, but I feel Jinke really doesn't care much at all about the user experience. In another thread it was talked about how this device is better than a Sony because of "support". This is true, but there is one thing that both Sony and Apple are good at which is that they actually try to make it "just work" or have a "decent" user interface. I just discovered a pdf that apparently was written in courier or some other light spindly font. This is going to be impossible to read on the device due to no ability to override PDF fonts or force it to jet black. When it comes down to it, ergonomics matter. It is not enough for Astak to be a vendor, they need to get the source code from Jinke, whether they sign NDAs to do so or not, and start adding to it. That, or tell the openinkpot people how to access the hardware.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote