View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #337
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
>>>"Fickle" isn't a market share dropping 30% in fifteen years! Indeed, movement in browser market share is fairly glacial compared to other markets, such as office suites.

Firefox grabbed that 30% pretty fast. Why would you take information and apply your own standards to it without even attempting to see how it actually happened?

>>>Not if the people taking the metrics are even marginally competent.

I doubt its really possible to make the distinction with any sort of reliabilty. How would you distinguish from a human request using a browser and a robotic request in software? in most cases you can't

>>>>Nope. People don't upgrade because newer browsers - newer than IE6 and Firefox2 - have a bluntly intimidating UI. Things KEEP getting added which complicate it, for no good reason.

Your "nope" is rejected because its stupid. NO ONE uses IE6 intentionally unless they simply do not use much on the internet or just don't care. half the internet is broken in IE6

Firefox from a UI perspective is virtually identical today as it was when it came out.

IE is virtually identical as when it first came out.

Opera is virtually identical as when it first came out.

I know I have many many versions of all of them. Would you like screen shots?

>>>No, that "slick new browser" is why people are still using IE6.

about 15-20% are using IE6 sorry the data says you are clueless.

Seriously did you enter this conversation with the preconceived notion that you would reject reality and replace it with your own regardless of what was said without even looking at what was said?

I am not TRYING to be combative but I want to nip this kind of rational in the butt early lest it get very boring in here.

if you have data to back your contentions up GREAT post it and I will update my reality to jive with the world. Till then....

ANY the point of what I said.

Because STANDARDS are not what causes someone to SELECT a web browser they are largely irrelevant.

IE was the most non standard browser around for the longest time. yet it made everything look fine. IN FACT IE ENCOURAGE BAD WEB DESIGN because it would "internally" fix problem code and "make it right"

took me a while to figure out why a page would look like crap in opera (old days) but fine in IE. its because the PAGE was BROKEN and opera CORRECTLY displayed the page as it was written.

IE would go hmm thats not right let me fix that for you and display it as it figured it should be displayed.

at that point I stopped using IE as opera/firefox made me a better web page designer since they were no longer HIDING my bad code from me :-)

and again IE having market share has nothing to do with UI or power or ability.

it has to do with this simple fact that you have no say in that you can not argue. That you can not dispute that you can not retort on any level.

92% of computers sold come with WINDOWS

100% of windows installations come with Internet Explorer.

Human's are largely lazy and or do not care or have no REASON to care what browser they use at least initially.

therefore 92% of human's who buy a computer will use Internet Explorer in some flavor or another and NOT UPGRADE unless they have a personal DESIRE to upgrade or encounter a problem that requires and update.

Its just that simple.

if "XYZ" Operating system had 92% of the market share and it came with CHROME built into it as a default then you can bet that a SIGNIFICANT portion of the population would be using CHROME instead.

Its just how life works.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote