View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I like hearing how a story works from both a male and female view. I have read a number of books written by male authors where the female's behaviour didn't ring true to me. Did you feel that Jamie didn't behave as a man actually might?
You got it! I had a hard time believing Jamie was thinking or acting like a man most of the book and particularly from that time era.

I've had a hard time in the past when female authors write in the first person from a male perspective. Larry's Party by Carol Shields comes to mind; a highly acclaimed book, but I always felt like Larry was thinking like a woman. More recently The Antagonist by Lynn Coady did the same.

I felt that Jamie thought and acted like a woman most of the book. I'm not a prude and I don't have a problem with some sexual detail, but how Jamie lost his virginity, while performing like a sensitive pro was just laughable.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote