View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #66
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've read this advice before from several sources. I think it is good advice, except for the fact that it's not literally true - is it? Or not in any simple sense.

I mean, if you told only what was absolutely necessary to reveal a story, then most books would be over very quickly indeed - and no one would bother to read them. An author tries to put character, scene and plot together so that the reader will care about the story they are trying to tell. It is not a simple matter of picking what is absolutely necessary, it is a subjective process of picking what best supports the overall intention: enough to make it work, not too much, but not too little.
Yeah... see Lord of the Rings, and other great works. Many best selling authors talk about showing more then just the min. The problem I think is finding the best balance.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote