View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #58
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I was thinking of getting a Kindle 3 and use it to read some manga. I used mangle to convert a sample to the correct portrait resolution and some of the text was borderline legible. I was thinking it may be better to convert the images to match the K3's landscape width resolution so if I can't make out the text in portrait, I can put the Kindle in landscape to get more details.

With your app, what output resolution do you suggest for what I want to achieve? 800x1067? I'm not even sure if it makes sense to be so exact since 1:1 pixel display is probably not possible with the kindle toolbar in the way and the pdf format's scaling feature.

Does your margin cropper have a limiter? I have seen some pages that are 90% white and it would make sense for your cropper to abort or limit itself if it wants to chop off more than maybe 10% all around.

I notice that your app has a feature to sense double pages and automatically split them to two pages if it's not a single image. For lower resolution devices, it may make sense to force all wide pages, even single image ones, to be cut to two pages. To satisfy both sides of the fence, you could do this:

page 04: Wide image rotated (as is done now)
page 05: Left side of wide image
page 06: Right side of wide image

This way, if the rotated wide image is too shrunken to make out the text, the next two pages will offer a closer view of the same page. Then again, you could have an option where rotated wide images are sampled at double than the specified target resolution so we can still zoom in for more details, though I would hate the needed panning.

Sorry if you have already addressed some of these.

Thanks!
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote