View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #52
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Specifics, please! because I've seen the same data and I think they're inconclusive. Some months are close, some aren't, and how do you account for different topics and different levels of participation and interest?

Using May as an example, while there was a runaway winner in first, second place was hotly contested, and one that got off to a slow start, Kraken, made it to the next round. So clearly people weren't discouraged from voting for it, even though other nominees including Lightning Thief were doing far better at first.
To make any claims either way would first require defining some useful metric of what “closer voting” is, and why that metric leads to better selection. Then would come the effort to establish a statistically significant demonstration as to which leads to a better result for that metric, hidden voting or open voting. Looking at the few months available I seriously doubt the results would support either conclusion. Right now people are just seeing what they want to see in support of the option that they prefer.

It hardly matters anyway since in the end when the issue is revisited the decision will be by a combination of a poll and WTSharpe's preferences.