View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
I'm just curious about this: 3G is a $50 hardware premium, which is a very fair price if I thought I'd use it. I understand the older firmwares on the k2 could browse the web for like, basic facebook and blog-reading, but later that was disabled, is that correct?

With the k3, would 3g have any potential benefit aside from buying books wirelessly? Would the webkit browser have any hope of ever working over 3g (hacks, etc?) ??

If I thought the 3g would let me hope onto facebook and browse, and do simple email, I'd cancel the wifi preorder and go for the 3g graphite instead. But it seems like they're moving in the direction of limiting what you can do via whispernet, am I correct?
The K2 has always been able to browse using 3G in the US. What happened was it got enabled for most countries in the latest big upgrade (2.5) and then there was a minor upgrade that disabled it for some countries. I assume enabling it was a mistake as letting folks browse where Amazon doesn't have contracts with cell providers (like the US and UK) got pretty expensive in paying roaming charges. So the browsing on the K3 is limited to WiFi depending on where you are and if they have an actual contract with a cell provider (US and UK are all I know of). At least that's how I understand things.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote