View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #103
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
As for the whole tags issue, I just remembered the Zen Of Python (I've been coding Python these last two months, it's beginning to show ) : Readability counts. Just use one tag each for quality, genre, etc. and make it human readable. (Remember, one tag can be multiple words!) I wouldn't include format(s) as a tag, because you can easily get a formats column by building a custom column on the template {formats}.

KISS as a principle is broken when you begin to include arbitrary restrictions ("just one tag per book") or utterly non-readable tag codes.
I totally agree. Zen of Python is new to me, but I'm familiar with zen of other things. I probably should spell out those tag abbreviations in the KISS posts, but I didn't because to me it's even more KISSier to be able to see them and understand them at glance in a small horizontal length on the screen, rather than unabbreviatedly scrolling painfully thru the hugely long field. Plus, I developed those tags just for me to use, rather than to make them readable to the world. Edit: (So readability by others wasn't an issue for me. But the zen of how to deal with differing qualities of differing formats in format related tags all on the same record - that issue doesn't seem to be resolving. So I'm beginning to think that nobody handles the issue very well.)

Edit: Oh, if you're referring to my throwing "_q3" type format quality tags around in these subsequent posts, you're right, I should've spelled them out for human readability. I just think naturally in that abbreviated tag slang and forget that other people don't know that language.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-21-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: clarify