View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I see...

"On the outskirts of every agony sits some observant fellow who points."
(Virginia Woolf)

Cheers,
Marc (with apologies for the "fellow" bit )
First: I am not making this up

Now that that is out of the way...

Today at work (a major aerospace company formerly based in Seattle) my manager presented, and read aloud an illustrated short story called "pooper scooper".

It was about a dog that deposits a steaming pile of mother nature on a soccer field. That is American Soccer... I think the rest of the world calls it "football".

Anyway, in the story, for the rest of the day everyone pointed at the poop, and did their best to avoid stepping in, falling on, or face planting themselves into the pile of poo. But mostly they pointed at the poop, and said "tisk, tisk".

Finally one person saw the poop, scooped it up, deposited it in the trash, and became a hero of everyone else.

I think our manager wanted to instill in her charges the attitude of problem solving, rather than whining about difficulties they encounter.

In reality, for the rest of the day all of us mature wage slaves just started yelling "Poop!!", while pointing at their computer screen whenever we encountered a particularly nasty and inevitable screw up, or an obvious software or database problem.

"Poop!"

"Poop!"

This was the battle cry throughout my particular cube farm for the rest of the day.

I think my manager had a bad migraine before she left that evening.

Mission accomplished.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote