View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #50
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I'm confused. There is something morally wrong with affiliate links?
Whenever someone has a financial interest in recommending something, their motives become suspect. Salesmen who DON'T work on commission usually tout that fact because it makes people feel like they are being more honest.

There is of course more emotion than reason here. I could be getting paid off in some other way and totally hide that fact, and make you think I'm recommending something with nothing but your best interest at heart, rather than using a visible referral link. And I think people who are simply link-spamming will be noticed and ignored soon enough.
I have found real value in the aggregate posts in the deals forum by folks like koland and arcadata and it has become the #1 reason I check MR each day. I'd hate to lose that. I think if they refer me to a book a like, they have every right to get acknowledged for that referral, and if referral tags are ultimately banned here, I'd probably book mark their websites or affiliate stores so they would get credit.

Still, I don't mind more direct disclosure of any financial interest.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote