View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxermenace View Post
I have noticed on the kindle US site that there are loads of what look like really good crossword books (NY Times Crosswords), are any available in the UK, also does anyone know when Fighting Fantasy is being released in the UK ?
Since I already pay for a subscription to the NYT and have downloaded the entire archive in case I ever decide I don't want the subscription anymore, these "books" for the Kindle are not that attractive for my needs. See, it's not like an app which can read the downloaded puzzles direct from the NYT archives. You have to pay for each collection of books and it comes out pretty expensive for people who already get the puzzles as part of our subscription as well as a free all to solve them on our PC's or just print them out on a paper and solve them that way.

I happen to have one remaining option, I have an old PDA running PalmOS 5.x and long ago paid $8 for BeCrossword which reads the AcrossLite format used by the NYT puzzles, save for a few PDF puzzles every year/month. If I still had my Nokia N800 I also had an app called Xword that read the NYT puzzles as well so I could use it. However I do prefer the BeCrossword app.

I tried one of the NYT's puzzle books now in the Kindle Store and because it is so dependent on the joystick to move around the screen, I gave up. And for me, the current design of the Kindles is such that the device actually gets in the way solving the puzzle. See I have a very difficult time with the joystick controller and being spoiled with either using a mouse (my PC's) or a touch screen (my old PDA) having to navigate around in a slow fashion using that joystick is just tedious.

Not trying to put anyone off this as, hey it's FINALLY a way to solve these infuriating puzzles on the Kindle, something I would have thought should have been there since day one. So for those who can manage or adapt to the way it works, it's GREAT but for people old and set in my ways with other easier to use options, it's not really all that great or interesting.

Still I have a hard time paying a subscription fee for the iOS app to solve the puzzles or to have to pay for these collections of puzzles I already have to solve on the Kindle. And yeah, the iOS software is a subscription fee above and beyond the puzzles we already pay for. Or at least that was how I read their terms. So, to date I am happier using my nearly decade old PDA over these modern and "improved" devices for my puzzles.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote