View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
This may be a really stupid question:

I just read, that after it loads a page, the iLiad still runs, albeit at 100MHz.
That was the initial behavior. I believe that in one of the previous updates from iRex (2.10?) they changed it so that after it loads a page it will throttle the CPU back to something like 33MHz. Then when you click on the page bar it will go back up to 100MHz in order to turn the page.

It's not technically a sleep or suspend mode, but they do throttle the CPU some.

Quote:
I also assume, that if the processor can go to "sleep" once page is loaded, the battery-life can be extended significantly.

If I am wright, then maybe someone really, really talented, can come up with a way to implement this, and make every iLiad user a happy clam.
Theoretically, yes. My understanding though is that the current hardware/OS combination makes putting that particular processor into a "true" sleep/suspend mode impossible. That's why iRex never implemented it on the iLiad.

The iLiad is running a 2.4 linux kernel. The 2.4 kernel did not originally support sleep/hibernate at all. They didn't get full support for that until the 2.6 kernels came out. I believe, after 2.6 was released, the linux developers went and back ported some of the sleep/hibernate support into patches for the 2.4 series kernels. The existing kernel on the iLiad doesn't have that though, and I'm not sure if the particular processor that is in the iLiad will work with the back ported patches that were done for 2.4.

You also can't just upgrade the iLiad to a 2.6 kernel because some of the proprietary drivers for hardware chips used in the iLiad are not available under 2.6. It's definitely not an easy problem to solve.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote