View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikira View Post
the only thing for which I seem to still be needing reader library is mass conversion from doc to rtf. I wasn't able to transfer doc to my sony reader through calibre I had to first convert the documents to rtf. If I'm missing something and there is a better way please let me know.
Calibre doesn't handle Doc files but there are ways to do mass conversions straight to epub from doc as described by frabjous below from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Laura,

No, what I'm suggesting is a single batch file that will both batch convert your .doc files to .html and then batch convert the .html files to .epub files.

As I noted, the batch file is two lines long:

Code:
for %%I in (*.doc) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html "%%I"
for %%I in (*.html) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub"
Here's what you need to do:

1. Download and install AbiWord. It's completely free.
2. Download and install calibre. It's completely free.
3. Copy and paste the two lines above into Notepad, and save a file named "doc2epub.bat" or anything else whose name you'll remember ending in .bat. Save it in the same folder where your .doc files are.

The lines assume you're using a 64-bit operating system. If not, then use this instead:

Code:
for %%I in (*.doc) do "C:\Program Files\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html "%%I"
for %%I in (*.html) do "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub"
The only difference is where the .exe files are located. You'll probably want to double check that the programs got installed in the same directories that mine were. I cannot test on a 32-bit version of windows, since I don't have access to one.

4. Navigate in Windows explorer to the folder where your .doc files are, and double click on "doc2epub".

The batch file will convert all the .doc files in the folder to html, and then convert all the .html files to .epub.

There's a lot of tweaking that can be done there to make the script better, especially with regard to how it handles filenames, metadata, etc., but it's hard for me to predict without knowing what your files are like. You might just want to cut and paste the FIRST line, and run that. That will batch convert your files to HTML. You then might want to use the graphical user interface in calibre to batch convert the HTML to ePub. That's really up to you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote