View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #260
vanyll
vanyll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello all!
I have been a proud owner of a Kindle 3 Keyboard but couldn't resist buying a Kobo Glo. The added light and the higher resolution were just too tempting. Why not the Kindle PW? First of all, I got a bit annoyed by Amazon not supplying the PW with a MicroSD slot and secondly, I really like the Kobo design. (The technology seems to be practically the same, so it all comes down to design and feeling for me...) So I preordered it with FNAC France (I'm in Switzerland, btw) and it has already arrived this Monday.
My résumé so far: I'm impressed! The higher resolution and the better processor are clearly an improvement over my old Kindle, the light is very evenly distributed across the screen and it's a pleasure to read with all the possible tweaks one can apply to the type face. Nevertheless, I also had the feeling that some lines or words would fade away slightly over time. After setting the refresh rate to every page instead of every 6th or 3rd, the type face got very crisp and dark again.
Has anyone else ordered at FNAC? The pictures some of you posted in this thread show the Glo with nice screensaver with the book cover and the percentages read message. What I get when I power the Glo off is a (rather ugly) FNAC logo, which is a bit of a letdown. I hope that future firmware allows to change these "screensaver" pictures - together with perhaps some password protection.
vanyll is offline   Reply With Quote