View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
pdf is not just for printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Nope. Nothing you can do about it. The Kindle is not a good platform for viewing PDFs. It's best to convert them to something else.

In fact, I would argue that a PDF file is good only for printing out a hard copy, which is what it was designed to do.

Mike
in some instances a pdf is just required for reading - conversion is not really a viable option - i.e. a two column textbook with a half page of footnotes on each page for example. I read pdf's just fine on my kindle DX - To say that Kindle is not a good platform for pdf's, in my opinion, may be a bit of hyperbole. I have 20 textbooks on mine ranging from 10 to 400 meg n size - all of them work just fine

The key for me was to scan all the book in black and white (best contrast) and crop all the white space in acrobat pro - i can read all of them comfortably in potrait with all of the formatting intact - I also delete all the pages before page one so that my pdf pages correspond to my physical page numbers - when my teacher says "turn to page 478" i simply type "478" and i am there.

I beleive the Kindle DX is a great opton for PDF's - yes other readers can zoom but why would you want to if you can just read a full page at a time (zooming and panning around to read is not very ergonomc for me)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote