Thread: PRS-505 Battery life with a twist
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
qkjb
qkjb began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Battery life with a twist

Hi guys
This is my first post and I found the forum because I had been getting very fed up with the battery life of my reader. I sent it back to Sony who said there was nothing wrong with it. Um! I stuck with it until it was out of warranty and the battery life was down to a few page turns and about three days. Sony wanted £130 to replace the battery saying "we only use third party repairers in the UK and the battery will also be supplied by a third party". That's great Sony. I saw a video about how to replace the battery myself and bought one from Amazon for about £10. It was a bit fiddly to replace but it went smoothly. There was a good charge in the battery when it arrived but I charged it for two hours+ with a wall charger as suggested. The result was amazing. On first use it lasted just over a month and gave me a couple of thousand page turns which was what I hoped for.
When depleted I charged it again for two hours +. This time the battery lasted one week and gave me a few hundred page turns. Down to three sectors after six days and then losing a sector each time it was turned on for a short read.
This is very disappointing. Since the first read with the new battery was so good I am now wondering if it is the charging circuit within the 505 which is at fault and with the rubbish service Sony are now offering "it will cost £50 just to look at it and then there's the courier charge" there doesn't seem much I can do about it. I wondered if any of you had any ideas?
qkjb is offline   Reply With Quote