View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Partly because they are waiting for Windows7, and the newer Atom with GPU+Memory controller on chip.
Then they need to develop drivers for it (probably).
So I suspect the nearest window for netbooks will be starting from 2010 (a month or two after Intel's newest Atom becomes public).

They could pair the technology with ARM processors, but they are much more expensive than Intel's Atom processor, and perform much worse.
We'd be comparing a $600 ARM netbook to a $500 Atom netbook.

As for the HDTV, I guess it'll be the same technology, only placed in TV's instead of netbooks.

That they haven't manufactured any PiQi screens yet, is probably by the time they where ready for their first batch to go into production, some modifications, ideas, and improvements came along.
I guess they chose to wait until their first released product would be a good product.
If they had put their first screens into production, by now they would have buyers and company connections for their newer models, and perhaps some cash too.

The con would be that they would have less for R&D, and that their second gen product would probably take longer to be finished.
They have a couple of high profile jobs open at the moment, but I don't feel called to fill in the gap.
Especially not when one (or both) of them include moving to Taipei (or something).
I wouldn't manage to survive there, unless someone spoke English.

Last edited by ProDigit; 08-28-2009 at 10:54 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote