View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Request: Tips and Tricks

I would like to request a "Tips and Tricks for New Users" thread, maybe even a sticky.

While it is not unaccessible the information about Calibre is quite dense and technical, and thats natural since obviously development is at full throttle. Which is great!

However, it takes a bit of time and effort to get in to it for a new inexperienced user, especially if you are new to e-books in general.

What I would like to see is *not* a tutorial on how to do things, because I get the impression that that is all covered, but rather a *really* brief list on what you can do, possibly with links for further exploration:

Really nice hints of what do with and around Calibre, and the *best* way to do it:

* Handle custom RSS:
- Save a web page and send it to Calibre. (Instapaper for example)
- Monitor a web page and send it to Calibre (google alerts for example).
- Send your email to Calibre (Gmail Forward (labels)+Email to RSS Forwarding for example).

* Set up a cloud storage.

* Smooth way of managing books (import folder, other library folders)

* Good to think about when using devices.

* Other smart and fun ways to operate Calibre.

---

In any case, I would appreciate to get advices on cloud storage and the RSS handling described above.

Thanks!

N.
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote