View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #153
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Perhaps its like politics -- if you cannot contradict the persons argument or success, you attack the person. I will not be a politician.
I can understand how you feel, but those comments were upsetting.

The sight of a fellow native English speaker telling someone else to learn English before daring to argue a point is incredibly depressing. The person taking the brunt knows at least two languages. How many does the person who told them off actually know? How is ignorance compounded by intolerance something to be proud of?

Instead of jeering at someone else for not understanding my vocabulary (if indeed that's even the real issue), I try to ask myself this: How have I failed as a communicator if this listener has yet to understand me?

Writers who have no respect for the reader are often at the hub of fascinating conversations -- with themselves.

Quote:
Certainly, there are minor concerns with the new iPhone, but they seem to worry only tech enthusiasts. Vocal minority. Consumer enthusiasm and sales to regular consumers are higher than ever.
How exactly is the ability to navigate one's way through the world a point of interest only to "tech enthusiasts"? I personally have the sense of direction of a five-winged mallard. Map services would be incredibly important to me whether I were a technophile or phobe.

Apple might have the appeal and marketing ability to convince consumers that dynamic maps don't matter to people who are lost and looking for an address, but for you to say it doesn't matter to anyone but an apparently unimportant minority seems a tad dismissive.

I briefly considered picking up an iP5 instead of an android phone in December. Playing with it after demoing an X One and a Galaxy S3, I found this Apple iteration more limiting than I did the iP4. Whether that's because of changes in the current iOS or other manufacturers catching up, I really can't say. But the launch of an ill-prepared mapping service was the ultimate reason I chose not to consider buying an iP5.

Besides:

Why should it ever matter whether a majority chooses an iPhone or not, and why is the "vocal tech minority" to be discounted, as if people who didn't like a given product were an insignificant bloc of voters in an election (though theoretically there's no such thing)?

This entire forum is a place where people advocate using products that the greater public hasn't even heard of. Why is that categorically unimportant?

Selecting a phone based partly on reviews is down to the individual user's preferences, not a general election for the prettyphone of the year.

Here's to people who prefer the iPhone, and here's to people who don't. Now that that's settled, let's get back to talking about specs and users' experiences.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote