View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
tfarrell
tfarrell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Question Server error "(8, 'nodename nor servname provided, or not known')"

Hi,

This is in reference to ticket #2733, for the error "(8, 'nodename nor servname provided, or not known')".

Two weeks ago sunday I visited a friend, and after I told him how pleased I am with Calibre he installed it on his MacOS X laptop. He wanted to use the built in server to serve out some epub books to his iphone. When we installed it, we turned on the server. He imported some epub books, and opened Stanza on his iphone. The server didn't show up. I checked with my iphone as well, same result. I poked around in the preferences, found that the server was showing that it was not started, so I pressed the button to start the server. After a little while, the above mentioned error appeared. We pressed the button on the server configuration screen to test the server and a browser opened with a web page that looked good, but the iphone just couldn't ever find the server.

I looked up the error, found the ticket, and read it. Kovid, I'm posting here to ask if you can give us any advice on how to diagnose and resolve the problem, because your remarks on the ticket are a bit vague and the error doesn't give us a clue what the real problem is.

There doesn't seem to be anything odd about my friend's computer or his network. He has a verizon FIOS wireless router, and all of the devices (MacOS X box, iphones, etc) were all on the same wireless network, and were all using default network settings (DHCP etc), no custom configuration of network settings (other than entering the network password), nothing odd. He and I are both sysadmins, so I don't think this is a case of "error has occurred between user's ears".

Any advice would be welcome.
tfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote