View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
Is V3 going to tank or not? Maybe. I don't care, as long as I can read all the non-DRM books I want to. I have no religious attachment to an e-reader.
If I am Jinke I will definitely launch an update to support DRM format if it can bring in huge market profits. Why not?
But ...
Is there a necessary correlation between how an e-reader sells and how DRM is implemented on the e-reader? I don't think so, unless there is hard evidence other than mere speculations. How big is the market of DRM ebooks now?
E-readers still have chances to evolve, but imho DRM is bound to fail and is going to tank, thanks to its massive unpopularity.
True, most "non-geek" readers won't even know the existence of DRM. But nightmare begins as soon as these unfortunate users try to copy/backup/transfer these documents to other media and then try to access it. Look, I am not talking about the non-geek mothers and fathers out there. The reality is most people who have bought/will buy an e-reader are largely of the "geeky" type who are not at all computer illiterate.
Will many non-geek moms and dads end up using an e-reader rather than reading paper? It's such a remote possibility unless this kind of products has successfully infiltrated the geeky market. Other by now common consumer electronics like PCs, laptops, PDAs, smartphones, MP3/4 players (or PMPs for that matter) all go this way.

Last edited by zdevil; 10-01-2007 at 01:51 PM.
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote