View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #51
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Something to considers is the area of actual ratings. What should a 3/5 mean? To me an average product that performs as expected gets a 3/5. Many feel such a product deserves 5/5. To my logic that diminishes the value of a 5-star rating when an average product gets an automatic 5. How do we then differentiate an exceptional or outstanding product? Of course then the definition of those terms is somewhat subjective as well. Before I wander too far away from the topic I find some people's need to gush over an average product puzzling, I mean it's as if they are deriving some sort of self-worth from giving that over-the-top gushing review.
Your description of 3/5 meaning an "average" product is one way of reading a 5-star rating...but I don't think it's how most people use them.

I think that most people believe that a product with no flaws deserves a 5, and they then deduct stars based on perceived flaws. This is what leads to a lot of 4 or 5 star products. Under this system, a toaster, say, with a 3/5 rating is not something you would buy because it had too many flaws.

However, under the "average" rating system, a 3/5 toaster would be what most people would want, since it would be a perfectly fine toaster. And there may be no 4 or 5 star rated toasters at all.

Kind of how a "C" grade, originally being average, is pretty much a bad grade now, with "D" and "F" being, basically, failing grades.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote