View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I guess I am in the minority who'd like to browse the web on e-ink, or more accurately read web material such as articles and blogs. I still can't get over the fact that sony don't have wifi in the 650 and the 950 as such a strange aspect ratio. How hard would it be for sony to come up with a proper (so to speak) aspect ration 7" device?

My hunch is that some misguided exec or engineer suggested that that particular aspect ratio would lend itself well to landscape viewing in 1/3s of a4 pdfs since they wouldn't go in the 9.7" market. Which of course this to me is a very poor decision but very typical of sony nowadays (and the tech world in general), and now instead of the device being able to do at least one thing well, namely read slightly larger sentences and book formats, it does both things badly.

It doesn't offer the real estate for a larger paperback novel and can't really display an a4 pdf in any decent way... Way to shoot yourselves in the foot sony.
The 900 had 3G but you were restricted in what you could access. As I recall you could only browse the Sony Reader Store. So even though they included 3G it was not an open browser like the Kindles have. I own two Kindles and the browser via eInk is pretty lackluster IMHO. People need to remember these are dedicated reader devices and NOT iPad like devices. Their main purpose is reading text.

My 900 had a better screen than the 600, but it was still tiring to my eyes for extended reading due to the glare. If in the newer 950 Sony has truly done away with the glare, and it seems they have based on comments about the 350 and 650 I've read, then the 950 should be a nice reader. However I believe it and the other new Sonys are overpriced, but then everything Sony makes seems to be overpriced.