View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #54
JackNF
JackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo eReader
Well, I was looking forward to this firmware update but from what I've read in this thread I'm just not touching it.

I'm NOT giving up having my cover art on screen when I power down. That is a showstopper for me, that is a feature that when I heard about is what swayed me to choose the Kobo over the other options available to me and if they ever expect me to update the firmware on this unit they're just gonna have to put that back in. Period.

I'm also not too keen on how they've implemented auto-shutdown. Yes, I regularly turn the device off when I'm not using it, but having it go into this sleep mode after ~15 minutes without my say, and then fully power down after another ~15 minutes (once again, without my say), is something I'm not too keen on. Make it a user-configurable option, where the user chooses how long it'll take to drop into those states (if ever),
then I'd be all for it, but doing the heavy-handed thing by taking away users' choice in this regard I find unacceptable.

I'll put up with the workarounds I've got for the font scaling and 'content locked' apostrophe issues, and if I've gotta recharge the battery a little more often then I'd need to if I updated so be it. Unless things take a turn for the better come next firmware, that's what I'll be dealing with for a good long time.

Last edited by JackNF; 07-03-2010 at 05:11 PM.
JackNF is offline   Reply With Quote