View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #42
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
1. I have a wife and two kids, and they might want to read some of my books at some point in the future.
2. I sometimes want to refer back to a book. For instance, I might vaguely remember a quote or some dialogue, and want to get the full quote. Also, I have quite a lot of reference and non-fiction, where being able to refer to the book is pretty much the point of having the book in the first place.
1 doesn't apply to me, and 2 seems to so rare that it's not worth the inconvenience.

I rarely reread because there are so many new books I want to read.

I do, in fact, care about DRM, but not enough to want to undermine one of the big pluses of the kindle: the ease of acquiring new books. I am on my iPad right now. If I want a new book on my kindle, I can go to the amazon website and click a button, and next time I'm using the kindle it will appear. Why on earth would I want to add extra layers of work to that, downloading to PC, importing into calibre, and side loading? The convenience is one of the best things about the kindle.

(I don't have the same issue with the kobo, because it doesn't have that convenience - my wifi has never worked properly, for a start - but that's also why I've only bought 5 books from kobo.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote