View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
the french writer Georges Perec wrote an entire novel in which he never used the letter "e", called La Disparition (appropriately enough, "the disappearance") ; the letter e being the most-used letter of the french language, this is quite a feat. he also wrote a book called Les revenentes in which e is the ONLY vowel used.

sometimes writing exercises can lead to some brilliant prose (see also "Exercises de style" by Raymond Queneau, in which he presents the same short story told in a multitude of different styles : sheer genius) but i agree that this particular example is not necessarily the most brilliant available.

points for effort, though.
I'd heard of Perec ages ago, and been trying to remember who it was, and what the letter was, ever since the article came on Radio 4 Today's program this morning and The Better Half and I "discussed" the merits of such a thing (and then I left rapidly for work....)

They say you can't judge a book by its cover, so I guess you shouldn't do it by its vowel usage either. I'll reserve judgment until I (try to) read it. Though admittedly the sample above make me think of the software that produces gibberish English to get past spam filters, but with a stuck keyboard.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote