View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Dan Wells on Story Structure

I was looking round for a Scrivener Template based on the Hero's Journey when I came across the template whose link is below:
7 point Structure Template
When there I found a set of links to a 7 point structure for building a story/book which is at youtube.
part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

It is a good way to structure I think. Basically he has the writer building his/her story based on seven points.
The 7 points are:

1. Closing- where you want the character to be at the end.
2. Opening- where the character is at the start (opposite of ending)
3. Midpoint- Character goes from reacting to acting.
4. Plot Turn 1 (leads from opening to midpoint)
5. Plot Turn 2 (leads from midpoint towards ending)
6. Pinch 1-forces character to action (between opening and plot turn 1)
7. Pinch 2-The jaws of defeat. Character goes through lowest point in story (between plot turn 2 and ending)

When you have these all plotted out you then flesh out the story with your characters, environments, a prologue that shows how bad things are in the characters world, a series of try/fail cycles & any subplots in your story. He talks about weaving the subplots in as well.
I'm already using it to come up with a plot for my NaNo project for this year and have made some progress on nailing down the structure so far this afternoon. The videos take about 50 minutes total to watch but are well worth it (IMO).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote