View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
basilsands
Arctic Warrior
basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I don't like background music - I can't process my thoughts and the music simultaneously (when I play music, my mind insists on listening to the music).
I like natural quiet (birds, kids, ordinary suburban noises are mostly fine).
Interestingly , I am the opposite to a degree. I do my best work with a bit of jazz or new age instrumental playing. No words in the music though, otherwise I too tend to listen. Quite often though natural noises draw my attention away from what I am doing and I want to watch the birds, kids, squirrels, moose, etc that are in my yard. I write primarily in the autumn/winter since Alaska's summer is 24 light and I cannot focus on sitting still during the only time we can get a lot of non-writing work done.
Therefore my best writing setting is in my comfy wingback recliner, in a dark room with only one lamp beside the chair, and my fish tank on the other side (fish are the only living thing that doesn't distract me). Bose QC2 headphones playing jazz or ambient music via Pandora or Slacker. Kids and wife in bed or busy elsewhere. Slowly sipping my beverage du jour. My Muse (whichever one happens to be present at the time) sits invisibly on the arm of my chair watching and whispering/coaxing me along.

Sometimes her hair gets in my eyes.
basilsands is offline   Reply With Quote