View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #379
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
When I initially read your post I took the first sentence to mean that previously you were making fun of Apple fans and were extending the derogatory name to fans of other brands,
I was making fun of Apple fans. But I never extended the term "sheeple" to Android fans.

Quote:
since there is nothing indicating that you are comparing Apple fans to other fans in that sentence. Then you said that "sheeple" are more prone to being conned, and since at this point I thought that you were using the term to describe fans in general, I took it to mean that fans are more likely to be conned than non-fans,
When I said "I don't really believe the fruity folk are any more likely than the robot fans to be conned by this classic scam" ... I was explicitly comparing Apple fans to other (Android) fans.

Quote:
I see now that you were comparing Apple fans to Android fans, But I still don't understand why you would say that Apple fans are more likely to be conned in one sentence and equally likely in the next, and also why this would come in reply to my post, where I didn't mention Android fans.
Because at first I was ribbing Apple fans. But then, when I wrote"But seriously ..." I stopped kidding around and said what I really believed. That's what "seriously" is meant to denote!

As for why this came in reply to your post? Because in your reply to my post you said you disagreed with a point (and a distinction: fans vs. regular consumers) I was never making in the first place! So my reply to you was an attempt to clear that up and repeat the point I was really trying to make.

Hopefully this clears that up.

Back to the scam ... I actually had a co-worker fall prey to something very similar in NY over 10 years ago -- before the iPad or Android ever existed! She had bought what she thought was a hot electronics item (IIRC, it was a something like a DVD player) from some con artists on a street corner, and all that was in the box were rocks. We all thought it was hysterically funny. She was mad, but even she had to laugh it off too. How can you can get really angry over something like this? It's not like she was mugged or something. And it's a good lesson to learn about being a smarter consumer and how you spend your money.

I relay this story in part because of the skepticism by speakingtohe that the recent incident in Arlington actually happened. It's such an old scam.

--Pat