View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
txoof
txoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0909 View Post
Txoof,

Last week I bought a Amazon leather cover from a guy locally that just sold his Kindle. The pins on this cover look to be identical to the ones in the photos of the lighted cover but painted black (They're metal btw and might actually be brass from what I can see from a scratch through the paint). I'm going to scale the photos here of the pins to what I have and if it checks out, I'm going to perform surgery on my cover.
I bought the cover for 20.00 in like-new condition and for a couple bucks and a bit of time, I think I can emulate the Amazon lighted cover or do better
From what I've read, the clips in the older stock kindle non-lit cover are indeed brass, and are connected to each other. I think you'll just need to break that connection and attach some wires to it. You can probably just punch some holes and solder directly to the brass.
I made my clips out of stainless and without a torch, there was no way to heat up the stainless stock enough to actually solder anything to it. I just went with a mechanical connection as you can see in the instructable.
Keep me posted as to what you turn out. I'm curious to see how you actually add the light.
txoof is offline   Reply With Quote