View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Augen The Book: Preliminary evaluations

Battery Life
I have now gotten about 8 hours of reading done on The Book (now to be abbreviated TB), about 2/3 in dim light, and am down to one bar. I did manage to get Wifi working, (more on that), and so that was on for about 40 minutes of the time, presumably using additional battery power.

While this is nothing exceptional compared to most of the ebook readers around, it does seem to bear out Augen's claims for battery life. I used that much between yesterday and this morning, so it looks like I will need to recharge every couple days if I continue using it at this rate. I will try to do that while reading in a chair, with it plugged in. It suggests that the power connection be left on for four hours, so I'll be checking that as well.

Comments on battery life others have been getting?

I am not finding reading a strain on the backlit TFT LCD screen, even after a couple hours straight reading. Now, I do not like really bright screens, so that may also help any possible eye strain.

Any one getting eyestrain?

I have also come to the realization that turning up the brightness, as was pointed out to me, does make it easier to read in sunlight.

Wifi
Augen has indeed put up a little more information on their site on TB, and had directions for Wifi to connect and buy books. Sitting about 12 feet from the router, with a standing bookshelf between me and it, I was not able to connect again- and this time I did not even see the SSID of the system. I badgered my daughter to going over and lifting the router to a higher height, and wiggling the little antenna so they pointed at me. My laptop said 84 % Wifi reception, but I still did not see anything.

Getting off my lazy butt, I took TB into the room with the router and positioned it about six inches away. Searching for the signal did work at that point. I was able to give it the security phrase and get access to Wifi. TB showed 48 % reception six inches away. It seems they do not have a very powerful receiver installed. Browsing - slowly - was possible.

Rebecca

ps - as posted in #53 of the previous thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=84004&page=4 , I am going to be doing a review on TB, and will be mining user comments for the user reactions portion of my review. Please message me if you do not want any attribution of your comments. I will be contacting anyone if I want to quote from a post they made. That post has details about this review. I am directing you there because the posting guidelines say do not duplicate posts in different forums.
rss
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote