View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I for one, have been on this bandwagon for some time. The Sony Reader is a great leisure device, but there is a massive market for a professional grade e-ink/e-paper device. As to why no one has jumped on it (except iRex, who look like they meant to jump, but seems to have missed), I couldn't guess. It's a mystery to me too.
No "mystery" at all. The answer is simply, I suspect, that A4 eInk screens don't exist, and the manufacturing yield for them would probably make them prohibitively expensive at present.

People have been quoting around $200-ish to get the screen on a Sony Reader replaced. That screen has around a sixth the area of an A4 screen. Let's be generous and suppose that the cost is proportional to the screen area (it probably increases at a much higher ratio, in reality!). Would you pay $1200 for an A4 screen?

I'm sure that we will see A4-format devices as larger screens become cheaper to manufacture.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote