View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Carpet Cutting Puzzle

Time for another puzzle. I found this one at a puzzle site in the Netherlands. Despite having a Dutch web address, the site appears to be entirely in English.

Anyway, here's the puzzle:

I have a room that's 9 metres by 12 metres, and I'm going to have an 8 metre by one metre aquarium right in the middle of it (lengthways).

Quickly noticing that the area of open floor will be exactly 100 metres (9x12-8), I buy a 10 metre by 10 metre carpet that was going cheap on eBay. But how to cut it to fit the shape? I don't want to cut the carpet more than necessary. What's the smallest number of pieces I must cut the 10x10 metre carpet into, to make it fit the 12x9 space, with the 8x1 hole in the middle? Hint: It's less than four.

I've attached the picture of the situation take from the above web site.

Answers in
Spoiler:
spoiler tags
if possible, please.

I hope this non-verbal, non-numerical, non-logic puzzle will make a nice change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carpets.gif
Views:	678
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	56233  

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-07-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Removed unhelpful transparency from the picture. Added upper limit to number of pieces.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote