View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #45
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
The field name must be #genre. That is what is defined in the custom-columns table in metadata.db. Calibre knows it by that name and no other. The label that appears as the column name that you actually see can be anything that you wish. You can label the #genre column 'Title' or 'Tags' if you wish. The label is just that; a mere word that appears at the top of the column and in the embedded metadata of a book.

Historical Calibre design decisions regarding custom columns should be investigated in the Development forum. Plugins merely work within the existing design parameters of Calibre. Plugins are the tail; Calibre wags it. The Development forum is where you might seek answers about your generic issues with custom columns.
@DaltonST - A column name that commences with a '#' is by definition a custom column, as such the core code has no knowledge of it - unlike author, title etc.

When creating custom columns I create them with an external name that is readily maps to the internal name eg my Last Action Date column has an internal name of #last_action_date.

I've attached the configuration dialogue for the Count Pages PI, it will compute up to 5 counters/indexes - each one of which requires a custom column in which to store the result. The names of the custom columns are a user decision - if I wanted the Word count to be Barks externally and #meows internally then I could, but I prefer Words and #wordcount

The only place where #genre is baked into the code is in your PI. That makes it unattractive to make use of your PI for anything other than the narrow purpose that you've targeted - which is a pity because I think I might have been able to used it for somewhat different purpose.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	128629  

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: forgot attachment