View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Lets just be very clear that it is his plugin and he may do whatever he wants. And if his plugin needed calibre2.x features to thrive, then it sucks to be an XP user.
The point is, that it DOESN'T need anything Qt5 specific to work. So taking out the code that allows it to run with Calibre 1.48 and Qt4 doesn't actually accomplish anything useful.

Quote:
Since it doesn't, I don't see the harm in allowing its use... but that is a different issue. And the developer is still king and can literally do whatever the hell he wants with it.
I know the developer can do what he/she wants with his/her plugin. But (IMHO) I don't think it's fair to take away a functioning plugin for those that could make use of it or were making use of it and now lost it because the Calibre 1.48 compatible version is gone.

Quote:
Also while we are at it, why don't we confuse calibre 2.x with Qt5?
I think you misunderstand that Qt5 is tied into Calibre 2.x. You cannot have Qt4 with Calibre 2.x. So I think it is you who is confused.

Quote:
Regarding linux as "not an option and not even a valid suggestion", please take your insensitive foulness elsewhere, you are helping nothing.
(And I have already explained a far more reasonable perspective on that issue.)
I feel it's not a good idea to suggest that people move from OS X or XP to Linux when they will lose the use of a lot of software they use and also the fact that a lot of them won't have a clue how to use Linux is something you have to think about. Moving to a completely different operating system instead of putting back in the code to allow the plugin to run under Calibre 1.48 is what's most problematic.

Please don't reply as I am done with this thread.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-09-2014 at 12:17 PM.