View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #67
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, obviously very few of us at Mobileread are average readers. But still — that someone buying just one book a month is considered an "avid" reader astonishes me.
It astonishes me too, but then I look at my own purchases and realize that despite reading over 30,000 pages/86+ books this year I only purchased 12 books this year (+ a couple gifts) and therefore barely meet their definition of an avid reader. Most of my books are library books or free books (public domain or Amazon limited offers). I would love to purchase more books funds don't allow it right now.

The ABA is interested in the money side while we tend to focus on the reading side. Maybe what they call an "avid reader" should really just be a "consistent buyer" and could include someone who doesn't read at all but buys books for everyone's birthday. When we talk about an "avid reader" we tend to mean "someone who reads very regularly". For us, it doesn't really matter how much is actually consumed, just that it is being done. For them it is all about numbers.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote