View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #278
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedidiyah View Post
Thanks for the reassurance, guys.
No problem, you're welcome.

Quote:
I bought a used kindle, so I do not have a warranty, but I did register it because it wouldn't let me make collections otherwise (this was before Librerator). These are the passages from Kindle DX user's guide (https://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kind...on_English.pdf pp.175-176) that scared me:

"You may not, and you will not encourage, assist or authorize any other person to, modify, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Device or the Software, whether in whole or in part,
...which you didn't. Yes, some other people here have reverse engineered Kindle software, but as much as Amazon would like to stamp their foot, reverse engineering is *explicitly LEGAL* almost everywhere in the world (with the notable exception of the self-proclaimed "land of the free" ...) - so these parts of the legalese are simply void for most everyone. And trying to forbid people to (physically) tear apart a device that they own is even more ridiculous.

Quote:
create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Device or Software...
... which you didn't.

Quote:
The Device Software will provide Amazon with data about your Device and its interaction with the Service (such as available memory, up-time, log files and signal strength) and information related to the content on your Device and your use of it..."
Which it does. That is one of the reasons why I keep my Kindles in airplane mode almost all the time. What I read (yes, occasionally, I *do* read instead of trying the break the device ) is none of their business.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-19-2013 at 06:37 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote