View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
It's stated in the TOS and if people read them more often they wouldn't be "the ignorant general populace". If you read through the TOS for various pieces of software you use they'll likely all have clauses in there very similar to Kobo's.

As for my assertion I work in the mobile application industry and it's standard practice. Heck, most if not all websites use GA too as that was what it was originally developed for.
I don't deny that it is potentially in the TOS, but really the the way the language is couched (with all its vagueness and breadth) is it any wonder the general public has given up, not to mention the damn things change without any notice. Even the Kobo one is so broad with items like "other information", nor is the definition of Kobo Service clear in it's implication that it applies to the Kobo devices themselves - "Kobo's website, mobile applications, web applications or "widgets", and other applications". Really at the end of the day TOS, EULA's and other such vehicles are not for the benefit of the enduser/customer but legal devices that protect the business in question. Many people are aware of the ineffectiveness of such forms of contract/communication, and even the EU acknowledged such in their recent dealings with facebook. As I said I'm pragmatic and recognise that there is an unspoken trade that occurs when using many services, but I don't agree that saying everyone does it this way is an argument for good practise.

Many of the better services do give one an option for participation in any data collection that may make their service better, frankly I feel this is a preferable approach.

Anyway this is likely not the right place to go into extensive discussion.

With regards to you GA statement I'm still somewhat surprised (and honestly a little sceptical) of you assertion of it breadth of use ("pretty much every mobile app developer"). I don't work in the industry directly (never did for mob. apps) myself, but chatting to some software dev. buddies who do they didn't indicate that the use of GA was the norm. Maybe it is more-so in Android development as they work in iOS themselves? I do acknowledge that it's rather widely used on the web, though even there I would be interested in what percentage of the web used the service, probably a less than I think.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote