Thread: Bible Framework
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #36
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am aware of no country in which a simple statement that "this work is in the public domain" is not valid.
Germany. But a judge may interpret such a statement that the copyright holder intends to waive all rights. The law itself has no concept of putting a new work into Gemeinfreiheit initially. LaurelRusswurm also mentioned the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelRusswurm View Post
moral rights
I don't think they're a problem at all, because a derived work would need to misrepresent the author in such an awful way that even freedom of art (1, 2) isn't enough to cover it. Moral rights without freedom of art might be a problem, but if legislation has both of them, they can be valued against each other. There are other more serious problems like trademark law or Leistungsschutzrecht (protection of the actual labor that went into the work regardless of any intellectual concerns, so there's a German company digitizing and selling Public Domain works which is threatening to take legal action against the distribution of those works based on Leistungsschutzrecht).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelRusswurm View Post
For whatever reason, governments seem to listen to lobbyists more than citizens these days.
The reason is very well known: money. You've already mentioned their lobby, which is funding election campaigns, which brings their favorite politicians to power, who then write them the laws they want. Lawrence Lessig in particular is pointing this out, as Creative Commons of course can't change the law itself, so each creator has to opt out the “all rights reserved” default individually, and “protection” (?) is lifetime + 70 instead of maybe 20 years and an optional renewal of another 10 years before it goes into Public Domain. Or something like that. Therefore Lessig today is more politically involved than messing around with copyright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
However, all I wanted with this is for this file to remain readily available for people creating their bibles.
If I understand correctly, you're maintaining HTML files of a Bible text, and the main benefit of it is their layout/functionality? If so, would you consider to contribute your layout to our EPUB generator workflow so it can automatically be applied to other Bible texts as well? I haven't looked at your files because they're in the .rar format, so please change to .zip, or alternatively you could send me a screenshot.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote