View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #91
doncaruana
doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7, Asus TF700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNY View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking for a way to host my Calibre database on my Synology 411+ and access it from my devices (PC and Asus Transformer Prime tablet) for a long time and this project appears to solve the problem. However, after reading the instructions on the download website and this thread, I'm having a hard time understanding the installation process for Synology as I'm not familiar with the php code references and I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this.

What I've done so far is enabled the WebStation, mySQL and installed phpMyAdmin on the Synology. I also downloaded the cops 0.2.0 zip file and extracted the contents but I'm lost from there For example, the instructions mentioned "If a first-time install, copy config_default.php to config_local.php" Where's the config_local.php file?

On behalf of the other non-code-writing-synology-owning Calibre fans can someone please share layman, step by step instructions on how to get this working on a Synology unit? Thanks!

You didn't need to go through all that! I have the Synology 211 and just got it up and running myself. All you need to do is enable the web - you don't need to enable mySQL or install phpMyAdmin. I followed the instructions up above with no real issues, but I'll recap for you:

1) On Synology, enable Web Station (Control Panel->Web Services->Web Applications Tab: "Enable Web Station". The only other thing I have checked in this space is "Enable PHP Cache" and "Enable PHP safe mode..."
2) You will now have a share on your diskstation called "Web". Determine if you are going to put your library in the root or use a subfolder (I used a subfolder named "Library" - we'll run with that for now, but don't create it yet). You should probably now map this new share to a drive on your PC (I used W).
3) Find your calibre library on your PC. You can click on the icon on the menu bar at the top of calibre (that looks like the calibre "logo") and it will say "Your calibre library is currently located at ...". For Win7, this is C:\Users\<your user name>\Calibre Library.
4) Shut down calibre and now copy your library to the diskstation. I just grabbed the whole folder (which, by default is called "Calibre Library") and copied that folder to the "web" share on the diskstation. Once there, I renamed it to "Library".
5)If you want to test Calibre now, go back into it and click on that same icon as above and select "Switch/create library". Put the path to your new location (in my instance w:\Library, but a UNC path might work too - \\diskstation\web\Library). Make sure and click "Use the previously existing library at the new location". At this point you should have your calibre library working on your diskstation, so next step is to enable COPS. I now just leave calibre pointed to the new library location and use it there - I don't maintain it locally anymore.
6) Take the COPS zip file and unzip it right in your library directory (W:\Library for me).
7) Make a new copy of the file called "config_default.php" and name it "config_local.php"
8) Edit the "config_local.php" if you'd like and change the name of the library and the timezone.
The library name is here:
$config['cops_title_default'] = "Sebastien's COPS";
The timezone is here:
$config['default_timezone'] = "Europe/Paris";
You can find the appropriate PHP timezone setting here
9) Believe it or not, at this point it's running! You can hit it with your browser by simply going to http://diskstation/Library
10) Now you just need to get your reader of choice to recognize the OPDS catalog. To do this use the same URL as immediately above but add feed.php. So mine would look like this - http://diskstation/Library/feed.php

And that's it! You are up and running! I have almost the exact same setup as you, including an Asus Transformer.
doncaruana is offline   Reply With Quote