View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #68
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The audio capabilities of eInk devices is rather a side issue from whether it's acceptable or advisable for publishers to block TTS on copyright grounds. There are plenty of devices with TTS-capable hardware and software on board--most of us probably have one in our pockets--and blocking TTS on those devices is absurd.

Personally, I do value TTS. My only disability is myopia, but I suppose I do use it as an accessibility feature insofar as it lets me take off my glasses or contacts (usually at bedtime). More often I have an audiobook for bedtime listening, but I listened to about half of C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series via Google Play Books' cloud-assisted TTS. We're talking about a series riddled with proper nouns in a made-up alien language, and with a couple exceptions I found the GPB voice's pronunciations preferable to the narrator on the last audiobook in the series. The TTS did a solid job setting dialogue off from narration, too.

As others have said, it's not even close to an audiobook performance, just a serviceable method of reading the text. And obviously, based on replies here, many readers won't even grant it that much.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote